Monday, August 30, 2010

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

{Erika} Project: Empowering Motherhood


PEM Logo
Today we hear from Erika, the beautiful mommy behind Lovely Little Lola and the etsy shop Lola Beane Boutique. Not only does Erika make the most beautiful headbands, but she also works from home and takes care of her daughter Lola. How she manages to do it all amazes me, especially when her husband is deployed. Whenever I feel frustrated, I remind myself that at least I get to see and touch Alex and I can count on him coming home. I don't feel the worry or the missing she does.  But, like Erika says, "With John deployed, she keeps me going, she keeps me happy & she is my little piece of my husband that I have with me." Here's Lola modeling one of Erika's headbands:
The Maren Headband

Here are Erika's answers:
1. One ugly truth about motherhood. I find myself wondering how to interpret "ugly truth." The first things that pop in to my head.. poop, stretch marks, or those cute little dark circles under my eyes and the fact that I haven't slept for more that 3 consecutive hours in more than 5 months. But the real ugly truth about motherhood is none of those things, they all {hopefully} go away with time. One thing that completely caught me off guard was the worrying. I still check on her to make sure shes breathing multiple times a night. I am terrified I am going to lock her in the car on a hot summer Georgia day. And I still look back after minutes of driving to make sure I didnt forget her. But I'm Italian, worrying is in my blood.
2. What does motherhood mean to you? Oh this ones easy, I say it all the time.
I feel like I have been waiting my entire life to meet Lola. She absolutely gives me a reason to live. Many people go there whole lives wondering what their purpose on this planet is, and now I feel I know mine is to be a Mother.
3. How has motherhood empowered you? Being responsible for another life is sure an empowering thing in and of itself. Being a mother has given me the strength to stand up to people who may not have my best, or Lola's best interest at heart. Before being a Mom, I was a bit of a pushover. I sort of let people walk all over me. Now that I know that I have to be a voice for Lola, and stand up for her because she cant speak for herself. For instance:
Lady in supermarket: Oh your baby is so cute, how old is she?
Me: She's 5 months
Lady in supermarket: Oh can I hold her?
Me: Um no.
So, I guess you could say motherhood has taught me to be a b!tch!

Thank you Erika for sharing motherhood and you ridiculously beautiful headbands with us. Thank you also for being one of the supportive wives of our troops and for reminding us of the beauty of sharing parenthood with someone you love.

Project Empowering Motherhood is an ongoing series in celebration and honor of Cati's 6 months. For my responses to the questions and more about the series, go HERE. To read Jenn, Melisa, Esther, Andrea, Jenny, Jen, Mollie, Jamie and Charlotte's answers, go HERE. If you are interested in participating and being featured on the blog send your answers to the three questions to steppystar@aol.com.  

No comments: