Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

POM Drink Week: Pom Caipirihna


Caipirihna and I have quite the history. I first tried it my freshman year in college (incredibly memorable night!) and loved it. It was sweet, lime flavored, went down easy, and it was the type of drink that hit you long after you've had one too many. I tried ordering the drink in restaurants several times and hated it because it was too strong. I even tried making it at home and couldn't get the ratios right. I blamed it on me not being Brazilian (I was introduced to the drink by a Brazilian family). Then we went to Jamaica for our honeymoon and stayed at an all-inclusive resort. Because drinks were included I decided to give the caipirihna another try. Oh boy. I fell in love all over again and that was my drink of choice for the rest of our honeymoon. If I could guarantee that my drink would taste like the ones made by the Brazilians or Jamaicans, caipirihna would be my drink of choice.

This recipe for Pom Caipirihna is not like the ones I like but I can't expect it to be because of the Pom juice. The juice gives the drink a tart flavor despite the sugar syrup. This drink also isn't for the lightweight drinker; it is STRONG. Alex and I tried to share one drink and we couldn't do it. We definitely need to work on our tolerance levels if we ever want to conquer this drink.

POM Drink Week Reminder: I was sent a box of POM Wonderful juices and asked to create drink recipes. I was very happy about this because I am a huge fan of pomegranate juice and an even bigger fan of trying out new recipes. I tried out a few recipes (all good, but not all winners) and will be sharing a new recipe with you each day this week.

Monday: Pom-Ade
Tuesday: Pom Sangria


POM Caipirihna

Source: Adapted from POM Wonderful (here)

1/2 lime, cut in 8 wedges
Sugar syrup (2 tsp granulated sugar mixed with 1 tsp water)
1.5 oz POM Wonderful juice
2 oz Vodka

Place lime quarters in the bottom of mixing glass. Add the sugar syrup and grind together (I used the end of ice cream scoop to squeeze and mix everything together). Add the POM juice and vodka. Add ice and then shake. Pour contents into a glass.

Serve and enjoy!

PS POM Wonderful did not pay me to do this.

1 comment:

Damaris @Kitchen Corners said...

I don't drink but I am Brazilian and I bet my relatives would love this version of a caipirinha.