Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Vote for my post on Mom Blog Network

Sweet Potatoes for My Sweet

IMG_1774
Cati tried sweet potatoes today. I was really excited about this vegetable because I love sweet potato and figured it would be a good bridge between veggies and fruits. I was wrong in one respect. I only love sweet potato when cinnamon and brown sugar are involved. Otherwise, sweet potato just doesn't do it for me. I actually found carrot to be sweeter than the sweet potato. But what does my opinion matter? It's about Cati's reaction, right? Cati seemed to really enjoy the sweet potato. The girl can eat too! She had 2 Tbsp of sweet potato and ate it ALL. I feel like she could have eaten more if I would have tried to give her more.
Sweet Purée
Makes 1/2 cup

1 cup slice sweet potato (I didn't peel it)
1 1/2 cup water
Breast milk, formula, or cooking water

In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the sweet potato and cook 5-10 minutes or until the sweet potato is easily forked. Drain sweet potato (reserve 1/2 cup of cooking water if you are going to use water to thin out the purée), place in food processor, and purée. Add fluid until sweet potato reaches the best consistency for eating.

Storage: Good for 3 days in the fridge in an airtight container or up to 3 months in the freezer.

Note: I didn't plan on adding breast milk to the puree because I felt like Cati could handle a thicker consistency, but when I saw how thick the sweet potato was I added about 1.5 of breast milk to thin out the sweet potato.

The players
IMG_1740
The purée (by far the thickest food I have given Cati)
IMG_1743
Yum!
IMG_1769
Stephanie

No comments: